Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Contemporary Restaurant Cooking week three

The best piece of salmon
I have cooked during the class
The best way to deteriorate morale.

Trying to close gaps in the blog. It is really strange - it seems the week just ended, but then quickly realizing that that week was over long time ago and nothing was written about it in the blog...

Last week of rotation for the contemporary cooking was short. It was the week before summer break and everyone was tired already. Strangely, somehow it builds up, the tiredness. People are looking forward to the break and every extra step becomes difficult.

For me that week was not easy. Everything began with my bad mood. I realized that I had no feedback from the chef. He always demanded to prepare great food, seasoned to deliciousness. How I suppose to know if my food met his requirements or
exceed it (LOL). Even when I cooked my best piece of salmon, he was somewhere and did not see it. Honestly, now I am laughing writing this, but that week I was constantly mad. He talked a lot during the lectures about food system in the USA, how to be mindful and do not waste resources. However in the restaurant it was a different person. I would say he did not care too much about waste, especially if it was not related to ingredients. The write ups at the end of the shift were a punishment for me. I was not happy to discuss small potential improvements at 11:30 p.m. after 10 hours in the restaurant.

On Wednesday we had close to 100 cover for the night. It was the first time we were really close to the magical number.

Friday, the last day of the block, we had final exam. Closing on Friday was so easy. Since we had three weeks break, the refrigerator had to be left empty. All what we could freeze we froze. Products we were not able to freeze we were allowed to cook and eat. At the end of the day all prepared item were discarded and we left for the summer break.

No comments:

Post a Comment